Sunday, March 30, 2014

Seitan vs tofu "turkeys"?




Brook


So last year for Thanksgiving I made a stuffed tofu loaf ("tofurkey" if you will.) I really enjoyed it, but I've been eating a lot of soy lately, so I'm thinking tofu may not be the greatest thing to have for Thanksgiving dinner (and lunch the next few days.) My little sister, though, insists on having a fake turkey that night. So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried making a stuffed seitan loaf/turkey? I've never had seitan, but I've heard great things about it. Anyone have any reviews or tried and true recipes? I'm not really interested in premade products if there are any, but tips on making just plain seitan would be welcomed as well. Thanks in advance! :)
2b2gbi and marsh: I am not a fruitarian, nor does my religion prohibit me from causing harm to plants. If you believe that people should refrain from eating or using plant products, that is your business, but I would prefer that you do not preach to me as I have not and will not preach to you. Also, your responses in no way answer my question.
Oops, I guess those two deleted their answers. Please ignore the above added details. :)



Answer
Seitan roasts are quite easy to make and a delicious alternative to soy turkey roasts. This recipe I have made and is quite delicious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npw2LKpag5o&feature=channel. The exact recipe with measurements can be found at everydaydish.tv. I halved the recipe since there are only a couple vegetarians in my family. You can make this seitan roast fancy by adding a glaze to it and by using the puff pastry (most puff pastry is vegan, just check the ingredients) crust.

Another suggestion I have is this vegetarian meatloaf. http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do?pageId=1489&catId=11 I've made this too and it's really tasty. I usually like to add extra sauteed onions, garlic and mushroom for more flavor. I like that this recipe contains less processed foods. However, it doesn't taste anything like turkey, but it is another option that goes great with traditional Thanksgiving side dishes.

Please help with a menu for my party!?




JustMe1234


I'm having some people over for my birthday next Friday night and one is a vegetarian, and it falls during lent too of course so I have to probably have some stuff for some people who won't bend for a night. What is a good range of things to have? I was all set in making sliders on the grill....lol

Nobody ever finishes potato chips and they end up goin in the garbage. I already spoke to a few lent followers and they said they would slip for the night, but for some other ppl who won't I have to make sure there is food for them too.

I'm thinking of making some Deviled eggs....thats as far as I've gotten!



Answer
I have here the recipe of Veggie Meatloaf.Hope this Helps

This healthy and hearty vegetarian meatloaf freezes well after it's baked. Just wrap well, label, and freeze. Let meatloaf thawe in the fridge overnight, then reheat at 350 degrees For 20-30 minutes until hot.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 85 minutes
Ingredients:

* 1 cup dried lentils
* 1/4 cup wheat germ
* 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
* 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
* 1 onion, minced
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 eggs OR 3/4 cup egg substitute
* 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
* 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
* 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
* 1/4 cup ketchup
* 1 Tbsp. olive oil
* 1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/8 tsp. white pepper

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place lentils in a small saucepan and cover with water. Cook over low heat for 60 to 90 minutes, or until tender. Drain lentils, if necessary, and coarsely mash lentils. Combine with remaining ingredients. Pour mixture into a 9 x 5" loaf pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.

Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until loaf is firm to the touch. 6 servings




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment