Thursday, April 10, 2014

How do I convert my child into a vegetarian?




valerie


I am a mother of one, and for about 2 years now, my husband and I have been eating a vegetarian lifestyle. My son is 7 years old and before we stopped eating meat, I would make meals like Pasta with sausage, meatloaf, baozi (Chinese dumpling with meat). Since we stopped eating meat, I have still been incorporating meat into my son's meals because I thought it was necessary for him to have the protein.

Recently I learned that meat protein is NOT required in our diets, in fact it's harder for our bodies to digest hard proteins that are found in meats and animal products.

Now, I tried to stop giving meat to my son altogether, but he's having a hard time adjusting to not eating meat. Have any of you experienced this with your child and have any words of advice to give me that would help? Child friendly vegetarian recipes? Please Help! Thanks.
I am a vegetarian, and if you dont like it move along. This question is for the likeminded. :) Note category or gtfo.
Human beings are not carnivores, they are classified as omnivores, therefor, meat is not a required part of the human diet. Beef collects and backs up your digestive system, No thanks! And if yo saw where your food came from, I highly doubt you'd still want to eat it. Most of the pigs, cows, chickens that you people are stuffing into your mouths are living their entire lives basting in their own fecal matter. Yummmmmy.
And do your research... The Human being DOES NOT thrive on meat. We are living creatures and thrive off of other living things. I mean, if you're a vulture or a hyena, then I could understand why you'd wanna eat something dead.
EDIT: @Jimanddottaylor: Parents who feed their kids processed meat, sugars, and fast food should be arrested for child abuse if you ask me.



Answer
My mom raised me vegetarian for the first five years of my life. She gave me meat substitutes, and I couldn't even tell that it wasn't real meat. They have meat substitutes for everything. I suggest a brand called "Gardein." They have vegan chicken nuggets, wings, ribs, burgers, turkey, etc. The food is delicious, and it taste just like meat. Plus It doesn't have all of the cholesterol, fat, hormones, etc, that are in meat. For good deli meat substitutes, use the brand Tofurkey. They have tons of vegan deli meats, sausage, cheese steak, etc. My favorite vegan hot dog is from a brand called Soy Boy. The product itself is called "Not Dogs." I grew up on them. They taste much better than hot dogs IMO, and don't have all the crap in them that normal hot dogs have. You can substitute fake meats for any recipe. If a recipe calls for chicken broth, use vegetable broth instead.

While the fake meats are good for taste issues, they can be highly processed, so use them sparingly. Make sure he gets lots of fruits, veggies, sea veggies, seeds, nuts, beans, grains, lentils, herbs, sprouts, etc. Limit processed oils and sugars.

EDIT: @Jimanddottaylor: Parents who feed their kids processed meat, sugars, and fast food should be arrested for child abuse if you ask me.

Vegetarian diet, what do i eat?




rainbow ca


I have recently turned vegetarian. I'm not sure what to eat and my parents are annoyed with me because i don't get enough protein.

What are simple meals that are healthy and that i can do everyday and still get full nutrition?



Answer
Food, silly.

Fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, and beans--that covers quite a bit of ground, wouldn't you say?

As for protein, even vegans get more protein than they really need. You don't want too much protein because it strips calcium from your bones (animal protein is especially acidic, causing calcium loss) and taxes your kidneys.

If you're parents think you aren't getting enough protein there are three possible reasons: 1) they've fallen for the protein myth like most people; 2) you don't get enough calories; or 3) you eat mostly junk food.

Some simple meals: A bean and rice burrito with salsa or grilled veggies.

Pasta witih marinara sauce. If you saute some kale/collards/greens and pour the marinara over it, it's really healthy.

A stir fry with cubed tofu or tempeh instead of meat. Many grocery stores also carry vegetarian meal-starter strips that are designed for stir-fries or fajitas. Lightlife makes "beef" and "chicken" varieties.

A veggie burger with oven-baked fries.

If you like meatloaf, you can make veggie versions. Google Vegetarian Loaf Studio, and there's a website where you can customize your own veggie loaf.

www.vegweb.com has tons of recipes.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment