Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Best vegan cookbook for meat-and-potato junkie?




Kayla


Can anyone give me some cookbook suggestions for someone who is a very new vegan? I have made the choice to give up animal products, but most cookbook's I've found are a little too exotic for my tastes. I like simple, southern type food. I was raised very meant-and-potatoes, so weird food with strange ingredients is really hurting my resolve to stay vegan. Help!


Answer
Vegweb.com is the best vegan recipe site I've been to. Everything I've made from there has turned out wonderfully. I even make certain dishes regularly.

http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html is a vegan loaf recipe making site. You just check off the ingredients you want to use. It's great because you can customize it to whatever's available in your kitchen.

I was raised pretty much the same way. A slice of meatloaf and a heaping side of mashed potatoes. Sound familiar? That used to be my favorite dish as a kid. Now my favorites are portabello sandwiches and curried anything really.

Sometimes it's hard trying to leave behind those special comfort foods that your grandma cooked for you as a kid, but why fret about it when there's a whole world of cuisines out there?

Going vegetarian, school lunch ideas?




Angela


My veggie-friendly friends have finally talked me, a meat-loving carnivore into going "green". Unfortunately I'm still in eighth grade, and restricted to a school menu. Any help with food ideas?

BTW, about the whole "Your still growing" thing, I haven't grown at all since the sixth grade..;(



Answer
I have been there! I went vegan when I was 12 and it was tough for me, but I managed to eat well at school.

Some ideas:
-bean salads (good beans to use are garbanzos/chickpeas, black beans, and black-eyed beans)
-mock "sloppy joe" sandwiches (use Morningstar brand crumbles in place of beef in any recipe or use on of these recipes: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=9635.0 and http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=15762.0)
-pasta salad
-sandwiches with marinated roasted tofu (available pre-made from Whole Foods and Trader Joes, or look for recipes online)
-vegetarian "meatloaf" (lots of recipes are available online
-baked potato with fixin's or "potato angels" (http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=32280.0)
-fruit, yogurt, and granola combo with a hearty muffin (e.g. banana or carrot or bran muffin...there are loads of recipes online)
-hummus with tortilla chips, veggies, or pita chips
-sandwiches with vegetarian "lunchmeat"
-vegetarian chili (with cornbread if you want)
-calzones
-waldorf salad

There are lots of websites with more ideas, too...see sources below




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment