Sunday, April 14, 2013

Vegans - I am looking for RECIPES for your most popular main dish with non-vegitarians.?

Q. In other words, what vegan main course or meal would you serve to a guest who isn't used to vegitarian food?

Recipes or name of dish please (so I can look up the recipe)

I specify vegan because I don't want to use dairy, but I am not opposed to a little egg (for you vegetarians reading this question.)

A. My mother loves this recipe for mock meatloaf:
http://www.vegcooking.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=149&Search=meatloaf

I steam some broccoli and make a baked or mashed sweet potato and it is a delicious comfort-food meal.

My dad loves this recipe for soup:
http://www.vegcooking.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=1328&Search=black+bean

I can serve it as a starter or a whole meal. It can be paired with fajitas, tacos, enchiladas, etc. (all which can be made vegan!). I love the recipe because it gives a certain amount of spice to it, but you can go wild and make it super hot (which is what I like to do).

I made this cheesecake for Thanksgiving. No one could tell it was vegan:
http://www.vegcooking.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=481

Here's a recipe for vegan gyros:
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes.php?s_type=%2Frecipes.php&q=vegan+gyro&Search=Search&Searcht=Search
I am still on the fence about the cucumber sauce recipe, but it's quite good. If you're not opposed to a little dairy, you might want to buy the sauce from a store.

Those are the ones that recv'd rave reviews from some omnis in my life.
Good luck!


good sandwich recipes :)?
Q. hi, ok so i'm really reallyyy bad at cooking, and i'm not exaggerating lol. i try to make good sandwiches but they're never good. i've tried looking up stuff online too, but i didn't really come across anything good. if anyone has any good techniques and or recipes for amazing sandwiches, please share :)

nothing with pig please, i prefer chicken above all, but turkey's fine too.

A. Here are some of my faves:

-French Dip (A Roast Beef Sandwich with au Jus' on the side for dipping)

-Curry Chicken Salad with toasted almond slivers on a Croissant (it's a pretty rich sandwich so I only make it once in a while)

-Roast Turkey with Cranberry Sauce & Dressing Sandwich (Thanksgiving Dinner to go!)

-Shawarma-A wrap made from combo of thinly sliced roasted lamb & beef with a garlic yogurt sauce & produce.

-Peanut Butter & Bananas (Elvis Presley's favorite...it's yummy!)

-Classic BLT

-Vegetarian Delight: Grilled veggies like: eggplant, peppers, red onions, portabello mushrooms all diced up and mixed with either Hummus(chickpea dip) or Baba Ganoush (roasted eggplant dip) (I created this for my vegetarian clients and they really enjoyed it). You can serve it in a wrap or in a pita bread pocket.

-Meatloaf / Meatball Sandwiches

-A Classic Itailian Combo: Mortadella, cotto, provalone, salami, coppa = yum!

-Tuna melt: Tuna with melted cheddar on toasted rye

-Pastrami on toasted rye with mustard and grilled onions

-Vegetarian sandwich #2: Pita pocket bread filled with hummus or baba ganoush, cucumber slices and sprouts

Tea Sandwiches: White bread with cream cheese & cucumber slices, crusts cut off, cut into triangles

My Bay Area Specialty Sandwich: Crab Salad on toasted Extra Sour Sourdough bread

and last but not least my all time kiddie fave the classic PB & J on pillowy soft white bread


Ok so i want to be a vegetarian but....?
Q. I live with my parents who are not vegetarians. my dad loves to eat meat and I am the person who loves to cook dinner and (sadly) my best dish is meatloaf. I have no clue what to eat or what not to eat. what are some websites that could help me? i need easy recipes and my parents and i go out to eat with family and i dont know what to order now. also what about thanksgiving? i normally like to eat turkey, so what should i do?

A. My mom went through a phase for about 4 years where she was hellbent on being a vegetarian, and since she was the one cooking the meals when I was little, I was vegetarian as well. There are plenty of recipes and products out there that are for vegetarians, all you have to do is search. I've included a link in the sources for recipes and such. One tip I will give you (and I believe non-vegetarians should do this too) is go to your local grocery store/pharmacy/Wal*Mart and pick up some multivitamins. I take One A Day women's formula and after taking them for a while, you'll feel a lot better. But be sure to follow what it says on the bottle about eating and then taking the vitamin, because if not, you may feel a bit sick to your stomach for a little while. That happened to me when I was in high school, so I'm speaking from experience.
Good luck on becoming vegetarian!
If I can think of anymore websites to help you, I'll get them to you.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment