Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Anyone have any great vegetarian/vegan recipes?

Q. I am going vegetarian. I am not yet sure what kind of vegetarian. I attempted this before and I lasted two weeks. I am trying again. I am starting out by cutting out red meat, which I rarely eat anyway. Then I will continue by cutting out white meat, and whatever else I decide to live without. Any great recipes for me anyone? :)
Please and thank you

A. It's important not to just cut out meat. You have to be thinking about beans, nuts, seeds, soy, eggs/dairy (if not going vegan) and ways to make those.

Try substituting beans for meat in your favourite recipes, eg black beans, partly mashed into a packet of the taco seasoning and water you'd add to ground beef for taco night. Try grating a portobello mushroom into tomato sauce instead of ground beef. I like tofu in stirfries instead of chicken (takes practice to have tofu taste other than bland - experiment!). I like making meatloaf with a can of white beans instead of meat - mash them and use your favourite meatloaf recipe from there...

Many meals can naturally be made vegetarian... load a pizza crust with tomato sauce and tons of veggies before baking, make a frittata for dinner, pasta with tomato sauce and vegetarian parmesan cheese (look for one with bacterial culture, not rennet)...

Lunch and breakfast are easy... most of my friends don't know I'm veg when they see me eating pj or cheese sandwiches for lunch! Many breakfast cereals are higher in protein, eg. kashi/Vector.

Tastespotting.com is a round-up of many food blogs from around the world. They have a search term, eg veggie burger, and frequently feature vegetarian/vegan menu items for when you're looking for something new.


Looking for vegan food options that aren't soy substitutes.?
Q. Alright, due to medical recommendations, I'm removing animal products from my diet. I'm not going the unhealthy meat substitute route where you eat a bunch of gross processed mock-meat foods. I've been eating mostly fruit and veggies (variety of deep leafy greens, etc), making sure to get in B12, taking a vitamin supplement and tofu for protein. What cookbooks and recipes would you recommend for a vegan? Also, any opinions on raw foods?

A. Congratulations on your healthy new diet! Don't worry. You will have endless options for wonderful meals without needing to rely on overly-processed foods and fake meats. Often if you wish to make something similar to a burger, hot dog, meatloaf, or meatball - it can be made out of beans, chickpeas, lentils, walnuts, etc.

Also, for B-12, you might want to check out nutritional yeast flakes that you sprinkle on top of your food. It tastes a little like cheese, and you will notice it in numerous recipes for vegans. Red Star is probably the most common brand. You can get it in the bulk food bins at Whole Foods or order it online.

Nutritional Yeast
http://www.bulkfoods.com/yeast.htm

Bistro Katie Plant-based Shopping List
http://bistrokatie.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/shoppinglistbistrokatie1.pdf

Bistro Katie
http://bistrokatie.com/

Power Plate
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
http://pcrm.org/health/powerplate/index.html

Post Punk Kitchen
http://www.theppk.com/

Fat Free Vegan
http://fatfreevegan.com/

Veg Web
http://vegweb.com/

Veggilicious
http://www.veggilicious.com/


Any good vegetarian recipes? Suggestions?
Q. I was vegetarian (ovo-lacto) for about a year in high school. While I loved the diet and had no issues leaving meat behind, I was not exactly the healthiest eater and did not have a family to feed. I am considering making this lifestyle change again. Do anyone have any suggestions for meat replacement? We already eat tons of veggies and I always offer variety. Any good recipes with tofu/other meat replacements? For now, we would still consume dairy/eggs, with a goal of going totally vegan slowly.

A. This dish made all my meat-eating family members go gaga.

Vegetarian Meatloaf:

Ingredients
1 (12 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce
1 (12 ounce) package vegetarian burger crumbles
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/3 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes
salt and pepper to taste
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a 5x9 inch loaf pan.
2.In a bowl, mix 1/2 the barbeque sauce with the vegetarian burger crumbles, green bell pepper, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and egg. Season with thyme, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Transfer to the loaf pan.
3.Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Pour remaining barbeque sauce over the loaf, and continue baking 15 minutes, or until loaf is set.

I usually have to cook it about an hour for it to set and I also mixed barbeque sauce and ketchup instead of just BBQ. Hope this helps! :)





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment