Saturday, June 22, 2013

Any yummy recipes for a picky eater?

veggie meatloaf recipe uk
 on Although this is a veggie roast, this truly is a meal fit for a king ...
veggie meatloaf recipe uk image



Crys


I'm not a great cook, and honestly can't afford a cookbook right now... As embarrassing as that is, I've been looking up recipes online...
My husband is a picky eater, he doesn't like any veggie but green beans. And, he's just weird about certain things. I'm not a great cook, actually I'd be better if I had a timer, because I have 4 children, 3 of them running around! lol. But I'm wondering if anyone has any good recipes.
My husband gets heartburn really bad, it's genetic. So, I don't want anything extremely spicy.

Frankly, we eat the same food weekly, bi-weekly. And, I'm tired of eating the same food.

Also, as I said, we have 4 children, and I'm going to school. My husband works overtime most days. So we're both pretty tired usually. I was also wondering about any recipes that don't take an extreme amount of time, to, lets say, add to our menu. Something we can just whip up, and enjoy, relax! We don't want anything like hamburger helper, and spaghtetti, or meatloaf.



Answer
Pasta in tomato sauce- Fry an onion, add mushrooms if you want, add a can of chopped tomatoes in juice, add salt and pepper, basil if you want, mix in cooked pasta and add cheese
Pasta in mushroom sauce- melt a few tbsp of butter in a saucepan, add a tbsp flour, mix, add a cup of milk, stir until its absorbed, continue until the sauce has a good consistency. Fry some mushrooms and add them to the sauce, mix with cooked pasta
Rice cakes- http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aiu8NYArbQLwFOiqL7h4IdPfLRV.;_ylv=3?qid=20100823042816AACkMkS
Mushroom fried rice- Cook rice, drain, add sliced mushrooms and fry with soy sauce chili sauce and beans
Tomato Risotto- Add a few tbsp of shop bought pasta sauce and a fried onion to some cooked rice.
Scrambled eggs on toast?
Baked potato?
Hope this helped
x

About cooking and baking?




Caitlin


Well, I'm 14 and I love to cook. My favorite is baking! I really would love to cook more often. I am never aloud to cook dinner. My mom always does.(hamburger helper, meatloaf, spaghetti, chicken, hotdogs, etc. and a store bought loaf of bread and canned or frozen veggies and sometimes a salad.) I'm definitely not complaining, because I'm very grateful she cooks almost every night. I'm not allowed to cook meat. I cook myself lunch almost everyday.(pasta with fresh kale, tomatoes, bell pepper, mushrooms, and drizzled with lemon juice is one of my favorites!) I love to make homemade yeast rolls.(with cinnamon butter is amazing!) I do make most of my recipes. For cooking and baking. I do all of my family's birthday cakes.(mine is coming soon and I might make my own! lol) I was wondering if there is anything I could do? Is cooking a good career to eventually go into? Any way to go into baking? Is there anything I could do now? I do draw and sculpt too, so I love to do cakes with fondant and stuff like that.


Answer
You're pretty good for a 14 yo girl Caitin. My Mom wouldn't teach me anything about cooking either. My first year in high school, I enrolled in Home Economics and learned how to follow a recipe. And I began baking cakes, brownies and bread. We moved away and I went into another school district and this teacher was lazy, she never taught us students anything. It was a total waste of time. So finally, I began to learn how to cook meat from older girl friends. Finally, I enrolled into Culinary Arts or Chef School and I learned lots more.

If you want to teach yourself to cook meat, roast meat, chicken, etc. grill steaks, then get yourself a couple of thermometers. You'll need two of them. Plus an oven thermometer. The deep fryer or candy thermometer looks like this...

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/taylor-5983n-12-classic-candy-and-deep-fry-thermometer/913CF400K.html

It only cost $9.99. That's a good price. And it will last you a long time if you take care of it. You need it to fry fish, shrimp, chicken, do nuts, anything that is fryed. It's also a candy thermometer but I use mine mostly to fry foods.

I use my instant-read digital thermometer every time I cook almost. It is to check the temperature of roasts, steaks, casseroles, baked potatoes, custards, etc. The temperature range only goes up to 299 degrees, so it can't be used for frying foods. ( Most fryed foods need a temperature of 350 to 370 or 400 degrees). The instant-read digital thermometer looks like this...

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

It is $19.00 and you can check the temperature of the roast, meatloaf, roast chicken, etc. or a casserole and once the food has reached a certain temperature, it is done and ready to remove from the oven. Allow it to rest about 15 or 20 minutes and serve.
An oven thermometer will cost you about $5-6. It looks like this.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=oven+thermometer&num=10&hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1001&bih=458&tbm=isch&tbnid=5GYItCgkmvtfDM:&imgrefurl=http://www.elementreplacement.co.uk/oven-thermometer-thermun04-1170-p.asp&docid=sZ6wFjdgm1OsuM&imgurl=http://www.elementreplacement.co.uk/ekmps/shops/elerep/resources/image/THERMUN04.jpg&w=640&h=480&ei=P9SYUNTmJouk8gS3vYGwDA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=261&vpy=153&dur=5820&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=133&ty=167&sig=102822524376184660581&page=2&tbnh=139&tbnw=186&start=6&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0,i:162

If your oven is not so new, you may need to check the temperature to see if it is accurate or if it is inacurate. Some oven are off as much as 50 degrees.
Here are some charts and guides for roast and various meats.

http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1001&bih=458&q=food+temperature+charts&oq=temperature+charts&gs_l=img.1.1.0j0i5l2j0i24l7.9417.12903.0.19100.18.17.0.1.1.0.181.1989.0j17.17.0...0.0...1ac.1.w4z7l1U9nto

Here are some good websites with videos on cooking...just click on videos or recipes...

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/31

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/

Understanding how to use cooking thermometers will prevent you from burning a roast or over cooking a meat loaf or most any kind of food. A roast turkey, etc. I included a web page of temperature cooking charts for you to go by. The only place you can find these easily is online. All professional chefs and cooks use these thermometers and rely on the

No comments:

Post a Comment