Friday, February 7, 2014

Anyone have any great vegetarian/vegan recipes?




Just right


I am going vegetarian. I am not yet sure what kind of vegetarian. I attempted this before and I lasted two weeks. I am trying again. I am starting out by cutting out red meat, which I rarely eat anyway. Then I will continue by cutting out white meat, and whatever else I decide to live without. Any great recipes for me anyone? :)
Please and thank you



Answer
It's important not to just cut out meat. You have to be thinking about beans, nuts, seeds, soy, eggs/dairy (if not going vegan) and ways to make those.

Try substituting beans for meat in your favourite recipes, eg black beans, partly mashed into a packet of the taco seasoning and water you'd add to ground beef for taco night. Try grating a portobello mushroom into tomato sauce instead of ground beef. I like tofu in stirfries instead of chicken (takes practice to have tofu taste other than bland - experiment!). I like making meatloaf with a can of white beans instead of meat - mash them and use your favourite meatloaf recipe from there...

Many meals can naturally be made vegetarian... load a pizza crust with tomato sauce and tons of veggies before baking, make a frittata for dinner, pasta with tomato sauce and vegetarian parmesan cheese (look for one with bacterial culture, not rennet)...

Lunch and breakfast are easy... most of my friends don't know I'm veg when they see me eating pj or cheese sandwiches for lunch! Many breakfast cereals are higher in protein, eg. kashi/Vector.

Tastespotting.com is a round-up of many food blogs from around the world. They have a search term, eg veggie burger, and frequently feature vegetarian/vegan menu items for when you're looking for something new.

Seitan vs tofu "turkeys"?




Brook


So last year for Thanksgiving I made a stuffed tofu loaf ("tofurkey" if you will.) I really enjoyed it, but I've been eating a lot of soy lately, so I'm thinking tofu may not be the greatest thing to have for Thanksgiving dinner (and lunch the next few days.) My little sister, though, insists on having a fake turkey that night. So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried making a stuffed seitan loaf/turkey? I've never had seitan, but I've heard great things about it. Anyone have any reviews or tried and true recipes? I'm not really interested in premade products if there are any, but tips on making just plain seitan would be welcomed as well. Thanks in advance! :)
2b2gbi and marsh: I am not a fruitarian, nor does my religion prohibit me from causing harm to plants. If you believe that people should refrain from eating or using plant products, that is your business, but I would prefer that you do not preach to me as I have not and will not preach to you. Also, your responses in no way answer my question.
Oops, I guess those two deleted their answers. Please ignore the above added details. :)



Answer
Seitan roasts are quite easy to make and a delicious alternative to soy turkey roasts. This recipe I have made and is quite delicious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npw2LKpag5o&feature=channel. The exact recipe with measurements can be found at everydaydish.tv. I halved the recipe since there are only a couple vegetarians in my family. You can make this seitan roast fancy by adding a glaze to it and by using the puff pastry (most puff pastry is vegan, just check the ingredients) crust.

Another suggestion I have is this vegetarian meatloaf. http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do?pageId=1489&catId=11 I've made this too and it's really tasty. I usually like to add extra sauteed onions, garlic and mushroom for more flavor. I like that this recipe contains less processed foods. However, it doesn't taste anything like turkey, but it is another option that goes great with traditional Thanksgiving side dishes.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment