Monday, February 3, 2014

Going vegetarian, school lunch ideas?




Angela


My veggie-friendly friends have finally talked me, a meat-loving carnivore into going "green". Unfortunately I'm still in eighth grade, and restricted to a school menu. Any help with food ideas?

BTW, about the whole "Your still growing" thing, I haven't grown at all since the sixth grade..;(



Answer
I have been there! I went vegan when I was 12 and it was tough for me, but I managed to eat well at school.

Some ideas:
-bean salads (good beans to use are garbanzos/chickpeas, black beans, and black-eyed beans)
-mock "sloppy joe" sandwiches (use Morningstar brand crumbles in place of beef in any recipe or use on of these recipes: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=9635.0 and http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=15762.0)
-pasta salad
-sandwiches with marinated roasted tofu (available pre-made from Whole Foods and Trader Joes, or look for recipes online)
-vegetarian "meatloaf" (lots of recipes are available online
-baked potato with fixin's or "potato angels" (http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=32280.0)
-fruit, yogurt, and granola combo with a hearty muffin (e.g. banana or carrot or bran muffin...there are loads of recipes online)
-hummus with tortilla chips, veggies, or pita chips
-sandwiches with vegetarian "lunchmeat"
-vegetarian chili (with cornbread if you want)
-calzones
-waldorf salad

There are lots of websites with more ideas, too...see sources below

Vegetarian Burger Recipe Please!?




CECIL W


There are a lot of them out there, but not really good. If you can help we would really appreciate your time and input.


Answer
Vegetarian. com, has a bunch of recipes for burgers,

tofu, black bean, mushroom the list goes on. I'm going to look it up myself and try some of them for meatloaf.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment