Thursday, February 6, 2014

Going vegetarian, school lunch ideas?




Angela


My veggie-friendly friends have finally talked me, a meat-loving carnivore into going "green". Unfortunately I'm still in eighth grade, and restricted to a school menu. Any help with food ideas?

BTW, about the whole "Your still growing" thing, I haven't grown at all since the sixth grade..;(



Answer
I have been there! I went vegan when I was 12 and it was tough for me, but I managed to eat well at school.

Some ideas:
-bean salads (good beans to use are garbanzos/chickpeas, black beans, and black-eyed beans)
-mock "sloppy joe" sandwiches (use Morningstar brand crumbles in place of beef in any recipe or use on of these recipes: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=9635.0 and http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=15762.0)
-pasta salad
-sandwiches with marinated roasted tofu (available pre-made from Whole Foods and Trader Joes, or look for recipes online)
-vegetarian "meatloaf" (lots of recipes are available online
-baked potato with fixin's or "potato angels" (http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=32280.0)
-fruit, yogurt, and granola combo with a hearty muffin (e.g. banana or carrot or bran muffin...there are loads of recipes online)
-hummus with tortilla chips, veggies, or pita chips
-sandwiches with vegetarian "lunchmeat"
-vegetarian chili (with cornbread if you want)
-calzones
-waldorf salad

There are lots of websites with more ideas, too...see sources below

Is there such thing as "vegetarian" meatloaf? Can you help provide a recipe?




Terry 81


By meatloaf, I mean something that sort of resembles a meatloaf made from ground beef (except using soy flour or some other vegetarian ingredient). It can contain eggs and/or milk-- no need to be vegan. Thanks.


Answer
Here's the meatloaf recipe I use...I found it on vegcooking.com. The ironic thing about this is that I HATED meatloaf when I was a meat-eater, but I like this version (go figure!). Enjoy!

~Mama's Mock Meatloaf~
Better than what mom used to make. Serve it with ketchup, mashed potatoes, and gravy.

1 medium onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced (optional)
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 packages beefâflavor Gimme Lean Beef
1/4 cup oatmeal, dry
2 slices white bread, crumbled
3 Tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. pepper

Coating ingredients:
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

⢠Sauté the onion and green pepper in the oil over medium heat until soft. Combine in a bowl with the ground beef alternative, oatmeal, bread, ketchup, garlic salt, and pepper. Thoroughly mix with a spoon or your hands.
⢠Press the mixture into an oiled loaf pan. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
⢠Meanwhile, mix together the ingredients for the coating and set aside.
⢠Remove the loaf from the oven and turn it out onto a baking sheet. Spread the coating over the entire loaf. Cook, uncovered, for another 15 minutes.

Makes 6 servings




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment