Monday, April 21, 2014

Recipe for mock meatloaf?




La Vie Boh


I want to try to make a mock meatloaf out of soy crumbles. Does anyone have a recipe that you have actually tried? I already know there are countless recipes on line but I'm looking for an already tried recipe that's tasty : )

Thanks!
caroline,

Have you tried that recipe? I've seen it online and the reviews suggest it falls apart and does not form because there is no binding agent.
I ended up finding one with Gimme Lean and made it last night. My omnivore hubby said it tasted like meatloaf LOL



Answer
I tried this and LOVED it:

Best Ever Vegan Mini Meatloaf
INGREDIENTS
Makes 10 mini meatloaves. Cut in half if you aren't feeding 3 growing boys.
- 2 8.5 oz pkgs tempeh, simmered in boiling water for 10 mins, cooled, then coarsely grated
- 1 large onion, coarsely grated
- 4 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 cup instant oatmeal
- 2/3 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tsp ground fennel seed
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp HP sauce
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp browning sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup (or more) water
Glaze
- generous 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp mustard
METHOD
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9 x 13 baking pan.
1. Mix grated tempeh, onion, garlic, oatmeal, flour, and spices in a large bowl. The spices are really up to you. I like a well spiced and complex flavour.
2. Add in sauces and oil, and enough water so you are able to mash everything up with your fingers. Knead/mush/mash for a few mins to mix everything well.
3. Divide dough into 10 pieces and shape into small loaves. Actually, they end up looking like lumps/rocks, not really laoves. Place into oiled pan.
4. Mix together ingredients for the glaze and spoon evenly on top of each loaf. Make sure the whole loaf is covered.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 50-60 mins, until glaze darkens.
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/05/best-ever-vegan-mini-meatloaf.html

Question about being vegan?

Q. I'm 14 and I've been vegan for about a month now, and I still have a couple questions. Is is still vegan if I eat something that has a teeny little bit of dairy in it? Like my margarine has modified milk ingredients as one of the middle ingredients, and my mom won't buy me a vegan kind because she already gets me special cheese, meat and milk. Should I just not eat that? What will I use in baking? I feel guilty if I eat it! Also, if I go to a friend's house for supper and they serve meatloaf or pasta in a creamy sauce, what am I supposed to say? I don't want to be rude, but I don't want to go against my beliefs. Thanks :)


Answer
no, it's not a vegan meal. How well you can remain a vegan is actually pretty individual. It does get easier as you get older. If you're making choices when you can and you're trying your best then you are a vegan. But the majority of people are not vegan. Nor vegetarian. For the margarine you buy, there are several brands that are pure olive or canola oil which are non-hydrogenated (I have no idea how they make it, but they do) and vegan. And even some which are palm oil-free. Google is your friend. But if she likes that brand and doesn't want to swap then you're still doing your best. Don't beat yourself up over it. You're doing your best, and you do have support that a lot of people don't have and you're doing really well. Let the margarine issue go. If you have to use it in cooking, then I guess use it. If you don't need it like for sandwiches or toast, then skip it. It's far from the end of the world. But like I said, when it's parents doing the cooking, there's not a lot you can do. When you're an adult and you and your friends are the ones cooking and shopping it is a lot easier. And you know how to cook vegan food - not everyone does. I know my mum is not sure how I can do much at all without using an egg. She can tell me some recipes and pick out some things to buy in the shop, and give advise when we eat out, but the idea of cooking vegan seems to daunt her - and she's a great cook. So relax. It won't make you not a vegan.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment