Wednesday, April 23, 2014

What is a good egg replacement when cooking vegan TVP burger patties? any recipes?

Q. I am just starting to cook with TVP granules and really would like to make some burger patties.
TVP - Texturized Vegetable Protein...


Answer
I am a former chef and when I make mine with TVP, I generally puree some of the veg in the food processor add some chickpeas and chickpea flour, even a bit of tahini sesame paste, available at Health food stores or any Indian market, even some whole wheat flour.

Also, at the health food store there is a protien powder made from veggies, it is a good binder for burger, veggie meatballs for spaghetti sauce and a meatloaf made with TVP, I use it at least once a week, and it is great in a veg chili too.

Best vegan cookbook for meat-and-potato junkie?




Kayla


Can anyone give me some cookbook suggestions for someone who is a very new vegan? I have made the choice to give up animal products, but most cookbook's I've found are a little too exotic for my tastes. I like simple, southern type food. I was raised very meant-and-potatoes, so weird food with strange ingredients is really hurting my resolve to stay vegan. Help!


Answer
Vegweb.com is the best vegan recipe site I've been to. Everything I've made from there has turned out wonderfully. I even make certain dishes regularly.

http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html is a vegan loaf recipe making site. You just check off the ingredients you want to use. It's great because you can customize it to whatever's available in your kitchen.

I was raised pretty much the same way. A slice of meatloaf and a heaping side of mashed potatoes. Sound familiar? That used to be my favorite dish as a kid. Now my favorites are portabello sandwiches and curried anything really.

Sometimes it's hard trying to leave behind those special comfort foods that your grandma cooked for you as a kid, but why fret about it when there's a whole world of cuisines out there?




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment