Sunday, October 20, 2013

Have you ever been to a vegetarian potluck?

best vegetarian meatloaf recipe ever
 on reinterpretation of a recipe that I found in the Best-Ever Vegetarian ...
best vegetarian meatloaf recipe ever image



Daughter o


Did you just love it? Was it at an SDA church?

Yes, I've been to an Adventist potluck and they are almost always with very very few exception vegetarian! SDA ladies know how to cook really good! Yes, I love vegetarian potlucks! Although I am not a vegetarian, I sure love vegetarian potlucks over the ones that serve meat!



Answer
I am an SDA also and have enjoyed / cooked for many vegetarian potlucks. Unlike traditional potlucks and family reunions where fried chicken, sloppy joes and meatloaf are the staples. I know there are many veggie cooks that use meat substitutes but I don't recall seeing many at our potlucks. However, the one exception is Special K loaf with carmelized onion gravy - yum yum.

One of the ladies makes the absolute best stuffed shells with tofu, fresh chopped spinach and homemade tomato sauce. Most of the ladies at my church are excellent cooks and I always look forward to the next potluck. It also gives me an excuse to try new recipes.

Does anyone have a recipe for vegetarian "meatballs"?




Molly


My mom has this recipe for AWESOME meatballs and sauce. I recently stopped eating meat, but I do really miss that dish! It's even been christened "Molly Meatballs" after me, LOL. :)

So I was wondering, is there a recipe for "veg-balls" or something? (I was figuring I would just use the same sauce to coat them like in the original recipe.)

Thanks!



Answer
http://www.recipezaar.com/Vegetarian-meatballs-11028

Read the reviews for pointers. Here's what one reviewer said:

This is easily the best meat substitute recipe I've found. I altered the recipe a bit to make it more like an actual meatball recipe. The most helpful thing you can do is to grind up the walnuts in a food processor. Otherwise, your meatballs have a little too much crunch in them to pass for meat. Once you do that, take out a 1/4 cup of the cheddar cheese, and replace it with parmesan cheese. It also helps to add basil, oregano, parsley, garlic, and a little salt and pepper. Make you sure you keep turning the meatballs every few minutes as you brown them in the oven, or they will burn. Then, when finished browning, instead of pouring vegetable broth over them, throw them right into your pot of pasta sauce to finish cooking. These will look and taste like real meatballs. I've already had three meat-eaters tell me they could not tell the difference!! Highly recommended.

So many glowing reviews and so many people saying they couldn't tell the difference between this and meatballs.

Here's another:
Update: I have since made these for potluck dinners and NO ONE believes me when I tell them that they have no beef in them. My brother in law is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and declared to my sister that they were "the best meatballs he had ever had!" I decided to experiment a little and tried the mixture in a meatloaf...very tasty. My next experiment is to see if it can replace ground meat in tacos or chili

Wow!! I can't wait to try them myself!!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment