Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Seitan vs tofu "turkeys"?




Brook


So last year for Thanksgiving I made a stuffed tofu loaf ("tofurkey" if you will.) I really enjoyed it, but I've been eating a lot of soy lately, so I'm thinking tofu may not be the greatest thing to have for Thanksgiving dinner (and lunch the next few days.) My little sister, though, insists on having a fake turkey that night. So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried making a stuffed seitan loaf/turkey? I've never had seitan, but I've heard great things about it. Anyone have any reviews or tried and true recipes? I'm not really interested in premade products if there are any, but tips on making just plain seitan would be welcomed as well. Thanks in advance! :)
2b2gbi and marsh: I am not a fruitarian, nor does my religion prohibit me from causing harm to plants. If you believe that people should refrain from eating or using plant products, that is your business, but I would prefer that you do not preach to me as I have not and will not preach to you. Also, your responses in no way answer my question.
Oops, I guess those two deleted their answers. Please ignore the above added details. :)



Answer
Seitan roasts are quite easy to make and a delicious alternative to soy turkey roasts. This recipe I have made and is quite delicious http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npw2LKpag5o&feature=channel. The exact recipe with measurements can be found at everydaydish.tv. I halved the recipe since there are only a couple vegetarians in my family. You can make this seitan roast fancy by adding a glaze to it and by using the puff pastry (most puff pastry is vegan, just check the ingredients) crust.

Another suggestion I have is this vegetarian meatloaf. http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do?pageId=1489&catId=11 I've made this too and it's really tasty. I usually like to add extra sauteed onions, garlic and mushroom for more flavor. I like that this recipe contains less processed foods. However, it doesn't taste anything like turkey, but it is another option that goes great with traditional Thanksgiving side dishes.

Any good vegetarian recipes? Suggestions?




Jessica


I was vegetarian (ovo-lacto) for about a year in high school. While I loved the diet and had no issues leaving meat behind, I was not exactly the healthiest eater and did not have a family to feed. I am considering making this lifestyle change again. Do anyone have any suggestions for meat replacement? We already eat tons of veggies and I always offer variety. Any good recipes with tofu/other meat replacements? For now, we would still consume dairy/eggs, with a goal of going totally vegan slowly.


Answer
This dish made all my meat-eating family members go gaga.

Vegetarian Meatloaf:

Ingredients
1 (12 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce
1 (12 ounce) package vegetarian burger crumbles
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/3 cup minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 egg, beaten
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes
salt and pepper to taste
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a 5x9 inch loaf pan.
2.In a bowl, mix 1/2 the barbeque sauce with the vegetarian burger crumbles, green bell pepper, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and egg. Season with thyme, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Transfer to the loaf pan.
3.Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven. Pour remaining barbeque sauce over the loaf, and continue baking 15 minutes, or until loaf is set.

I usually have to cook it about an hour for it to set and I also mixed barbeque sauce and ketchup instead of just BBQ. Hope this helps! :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment