Friday, March 7, 2014

What meals could I make using lentils apart from soups?




hannah





Answer
I have found two really good lentil recipes that I like a lot. One is for a vegetarian 'meatloaf' and the other is a broccoli lentil and rice casserole. There are many other recipes for lentil casseroles you can find on the internet. Indian dishes also often use lentils in curries, you can find these recipes by searching for Indian Daal recipes.
Lentils are also good for making veggie burgers or vegetarian sloppy joes.

Here is the link for the lentil loaf recipe:

http://www.food.com/recipe/really-good-vegetarian-meatloaf-really-33921

I usually add more tomato sauce than the recipe says. Sometimes I also sub the egg out with flaxseed (1TBS of ground flaxseed + 3 TBS of lukewarm water + mix until gooey= egg substitute for just about any recipe, including baking).
Also I like to spread ketchup over the top before I put it in the oven.

Here is the link for the casserole:

http://theliberalvegan.wordpress.com/2008/10/23/veganmofo-broccoli-lentil-casserole/

I am not vegan so I sometimes substitute parmesan or other cheese for the nutritional yeast and just use real butter. I've also made this recipe with asparagus instead of broccoli, or both together and it is very good. There are similar recipes on the internet but this is my favorite so far because it only takes one dish and is so easy to make, you don't have to precook anything, you just mix it all together and stick it in the oven.

I'm a vegetarian. What are some simple recipes?




Yaz


I recently bought tofu and a few broths from whole foods. I didn't even know what I was doing when I was grocery shopping. Anyway, please let me in on some good recipes and/or vegetarian cookbooks.
Excluding the obvious of course. i.e. SALAD! Haha. I need some real meals. Also, I don't eat fish or shellfish because I am allergic. Keep in mind I am 16 (going on 17) so simplicity is key.



Answer
What about a tofu scramble. You can use it the same way that you would use eggs. I go on tofu binges often so I cook it so many different ways. There are so many different types too, silk or firm are my favorites.
For a tofu scramble it is simple I will give you 2 recipes. One I make is a soy scramble, use soy or tamari. I saute some minced garlic, onions, carrots until tender then add the tofu and scramble it like it was an egg, then top with soy, salt, pepper, and for me always some hot asian chili paste or sauce and green scallion If you have black bean add it with the veg. Another one is to use Balsamic, oregano or basil and the some peppers if you like. More italian or greek influence. So now you have the basic try your hand on a scramble. Another thing I make is chili, I use the tofu like ground turkey or beef. I cook the onions, garlic, spice then add tofu and beans and more spice. You can even make a burrito scramble and put it in some whole wheat tortillas for breakfast or lunch. Tofu curry is always good, tofu with ginger, scallions, peanut oil and soy cold is good. It is good in noodles. I always make tofu curry with eggplant, longbeans, garlic, and thai green curry with a little kabocha pumpkin. The skies the limit with what you can do, make a tofu and veggie meatloaf or a loaf with chickpeas and veggie or lentils and veg. Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment