Friday, May 17, 2013

Is there such thing as "vegetarian" meatloaf? Can you help provide a recipe?

Q. By meatloaf, I mean something that sort of resembles a meatloaf made from ground beef (except using soy flour or some other vegetarian ingredient). It can contain eggs and/or milk-- no need to be vegan. Thanks.

A. Here's the meatloaf recipe I use...I found it on vegcooking.com. The ironic thing about this is that I HATED meatloaf when I was a meat-eater, but I like this version (go figure!). Enjoy!

~Mama's Mock Meatloaf~
Better than what mom used to make. Serve it with ketchup, mashed potatoes, and gravy.

1 medium onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced (optional)
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 packages beef–flavor Gimme Lean Beef
1/4 cup oatmeal, dry
2 slices white bread, crumbled
3 Tbsp. ketchup
2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. pepper

Coating ingredients:
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

• Sauté the onion and green pepper in the oil over medium heat until soft. Combine in a bowl with the ground beef alternative, oatmeal, bread, ketchup, garlic salt, and pepper. Thoroughly mix with a spoon or your hands.
• Press the mixture into an oiled loaf pan. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
• Meanwhile, mix together the ingredients for the coating and set aside.
• Remove the loaf from the oven and turn it out onto a baking sheet. Spread the coating over the entire loaf. Cook, uncovered, for another 15 minutes.

Makes 6 servings


What Vegetarian Meat substitutes actually taste like meat?
Q. My girlfriend is trying to eat less meat and I found a recipie for vegetarian lasagna, but it calls for meat substitute. Does this actually taste like meat?

A. Umm no, she does mean girlfriend. I don't know if you've heard, but some girls like girls. =P

I've never found a meat substitute that tasted exactly like meat, but I have had some that are so good that you don't miss the meat. I crumble tempeh into my vegan chili and it provides the meaty texture and comes out delicious. I fill lasagna with mushrooms and eggplant. I maake meatloaf with a blend of blak beans, lentils, and rye. I've heard that seitan also works very well in meat-centered recipes, such as vegan cheese steaks. I've never tried it because I am sensitive to gluten, but I've heard it's very good and meaty.


Tips on a vegetarian diet for a week?
Q. My doc said this would be good for me. I just wanna know the food that i should eat. Thanks.

A. Well, it can be very simple, especially if you are just vegetarian and not vegan. In your frozen foods section you will find morningstar farms products, which are especially good, and also boca....

You can get the morningstar farms "grillers recipe crumbles" which is a vegan substitute for ground beef. I use this to make tacos, and spaghetti with "no-meat" sauce.

Since it's spring time and grilling season is here (where I live anyway), you can do grilled veggie- kabobs....You can eat rennet-free cheeses (sargento is animal rennet free, except their harder cheeses (parmesan, asiago, and provolone, etc))

Make some fab salads, or blackbean burgers (can of beans, some crackers and an egg or so, you make it sorta like a typical meatloaf and then form patties for the grill).

Good Luck, and when in doubt, check out some v&v recipe boards or vegetariantimes.com





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment