Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Does Anyone Know of Any Delicious Egg Dinner Dishes?

vegetarian meatloaf recipe beans
 on dinner recipes, vegetarian recipe for dinner, healthy food recipes ...
vegetarian meatloaf recipe beans image



Puddy


I want some delicious meal ideas and/or recipes for egg dishes (omelets, souffles, huevo rancheros, etc.).

Any info. 2 share, folks?



Answer
My very favorite egg dish is an Italian Frittata. It is a type of omlette and it is my way of using up leftovers. I can't give you exact measurements for all the ingredients, because as I said I add leftovers.

Frittata
Serves 2 with leftovers, maybe

1 small onion, chopped
1/2 green or red bell pepper, chopped if you have one.
2-3 clove minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil or a little more if needed
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano and basil or 1 teaspoon of your favorite herbs.
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/4-1/2 cup grated cheese (you can choose any cheese from grated parmigiana to grated cheddar)

Leftovers you can add to the beaten eggs. Cooked potatoes, cooked vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, broccoli raab, raw spinach chopped, cherry or regular tomatoes including those that are getting soft and wrinkled, leftover chopped canned tomatoes, deli meats, cooked sausage, meatloaf, cooked chicken, beef, pork etc., pasta and beans.

Preheat the oven to 350F degrees
Heat the oil in a 10-12 inch non-stick ovenproof skillet or frying pan. Saute the onions and peppers (if using) until soft, add the minced garlic and saute about 30 seconds.
Add approximately 1 - 1 1/2 cups of leftovers to the beaten eggs along with 1/2 the grated cheese, the herbs, salt and pepper. Add more oil to the skillet if necessary. Pour the egg mixture over the onions etc. in the pan. Allow to set for a bit then pull the eggs in from the sides, allowing the raw egg to fill in where the cooked egg was pulled in. Do this a few time, then garnish the Frittata with the rest of the grated cheese and put it in the oven for about 20-30 minute or until cooked through and slightly golden on top. Slide out onto a large round plate, cut in wedges and serve with a garlic or any good bread.

Frittatas are good eaten hot, room temperature or cold.
The best frittatas do contain cheese, and should have at least one leftover vegetable, some type of meat and leftover potatoes or pasta or beans. If your vegetarian, leave out the meat, you will still have great inexpensive meal.

Pros and Cons of Being a Vegetarian?




Animallove


I absolutely love animals and am debating about whether or not I should become a vegetarian. The reason I want to become a vegetarian is more so of a control issue. With all of the wars, issues with the government etc. I feel like my lifestyle is one of the few things that I have some control over. I like meat but I don't like the fact that meat without growth hormones and junk doesn't taste good as opposed to meat that does include the harmful chemicals. Also I don't like that unless I personally start my own farm that I can't know for sure how the animals are treated and if they are killed humanely. I'm worried about becoming a vegetarian because I like meat (corn beef, steak, ribs, bacon, hot dogs, meatloaf, pork chops etc.) but at the sametime I don't want to contribute to the inhuman murder of animals. Another thing is that when I brought it up to my parents they are fine with me becoming a vegetarian but they said they aren't planning on fixing any special meals for me and that if we're having meat that I will have to fix something myself for dinner. The second thing I'm worried about is staying healthy. A couple of months ago I was anemic and had to take iron supplements and I'm worried about being anemic again as most sources of iron come from meat. If I do decide to become a vegetarian how far should I take it. Should I just rule out all meat (including like chicken stock etc.?). What are the pros and cons of becoming a vegetarian? Also a friend of mine told me that eating meat puts you at higher risk for cancer...is that true? That kinda freaked me out. Then again there are always talks about people claiming almost anything is linked to cancer.


Answer
LIFE puts you at a higher risk for cancer. But some things are associated with cancer.
My sister was a vegetarian for decades, and relied on soy for her protein source (soy and quinoa are the only complete proteins .. otherwise you are eating legumes and grains together). She got thyroid cancer, and had to have her thyroid killed, and now she has to mess with adusting the level of synthroid medication (artifical thyroid hormone).
She found out a couple years after her thyroid cancer that too much soy in the diet is associated with thyroid cancer.

Pro's of vegetarianism:
1. It's cheaper
2. You get to feel proud about yourself as long as it's not arrogance)

Con's:
1. You have to understand protein sources and how to get complete protein in your diet. AND Iron sources too. This means you have to preplan all your meals, checking out the nutritional content ahead of time .. until you have it all in your head.
2. You have to like legumes (beans, lentils, etc) and be prepared for more flatulence. Cheese and eggs have protein but are not healthy to eat on a daily basis. Nuts are fattening. Soy is okay but not every day. Quinoa .. we don't know yet. Best not to rely on it every day.
Most of your protein will be legumes eaten with grains (beans and rice, peanut butter on whole wheat bread, lentils and rice, etc).
3. It takes a lot more complicated recipes to make the food tasty. It's not like you can slap a bunch of garbanzo beans on the barbecue and cook then up in 10 minutes for supper. In the case of your parents, its the difference between having to cook at all and having to do complicated meals.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment