Monday, July 1, 2013

Anyone have any great vegetarian/vegan recipes?

vegan meatloaf recipe blog
 on Gluten Free Vegetarian: Red Lentil un-Meatloaf Recipe | Book of Yum
vegan meatloaf recipe blog image



Just right


I am going vegetarian. I am not yet sure what kind of vegetarian. I attempted this before and I lasted two weeks. I am trying again. I am starting out by cutting out red meat, which I rarely eat anyway. Then I will continue by cutting out white meat, and whatever else I decide to live without. Any great recipes for me anyone? :)
Please and thank you



Answer
It's important not to just cut out meat. You have to be thinking about beans, nuts, seeds, soy, eggs/dairy (if not going vegan) and ways to make those.

Try substituting beans for meat in your favourite recipes, eg black beans, partly mashed into a packet of the taco seasoning and water you'd add to ground beef for taco night. Try grating a portobello mushroom into tomato sauce instead of ground beef. I like tofu in stirfries instead of chicken (takes practice to have tofu taste other than bland - experiment!). I like making meatloaf with a can of white beans instead of meat - mash them and use your favourite meatloaf recipe from there...

Many meals can naturally be made vegetarian... load a pizza crust with tomato sauce and tons of veggies before baking, make a frittata for dinner, pasta with tomato sauce and vegetarian parmesan cheese (look for one with bacterial culture, not rennet)...

Lunch and breakfast are easy... most of my friends don't know I'm veg when they see me eating pj or cheese sandwiches for lunch! Many breakfast cereals are higher in protein, eg. kashi/Vector.

Tastespotting.com is a round-up of many food blogs from around the world. They have a search term, eg veggie burger, and frequently feature vegetarian/vegan menu items for when you're looking for something new.

Vegetarians and or Vegans, what's your lunch?




Shape the


I'm stuck for ideas for lunches.
I go to school everyday, so it's gotta be an easy one. And unless I can make it and put it in a thermos, no hot foods either.

What do you usually pack?



Answer
Things such as hummus and peanut butter are tasty and convenient solutions for a lunch on the go. Look into buying vegetarian canned soups to pack into a thermo. Most grocers now carry lunch meat alternatives such as veggie hot dogs and tofurky slices- so you may want to consider trying some of those.

gelatin-free yogurt (dairy or nondairy)
fresh fruit or fruit cups
granola
hummus
peanut butter
veggie dip
carrot sticks
celery sticks
cereal
crackers
pretzels
salads
veggie soups
chips
soy milk

Another good idea is to see if your local grocers sell vegetarian-friendly MRE's to the public. MRE's are specially packed foods that can be heated without the use of a microwave or fire. There is a heating pad that is activated with water. Soldiers have and still do use them abroad when at war out in the rugged terrain. These foods include spaghetti, macaroni, veggie meatloaf, and more. http://mreinfo.com/

If you don't mind taking a little time to prepare some of your meals in advance, I have included a link to help you discover and try out vegetarian lunch recipes from a vegan mother's blog. http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment