Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Does Walmart sell Imitation Meat?

vegetarian meatloaf recipe boca
 on meatloaf 300x300 March 2009: Vegetarian Meatloaf
vegetarian meatloaf recipe boca image



GirlWithTh


I am trying out the Vegiterian life, and so far I like it, so I was wondering if Walmart has imitation meat?


Answer
Walmart has a small vegetarian section, normally by the breakfast foods for some reason, which includes Boca burgers. I personally don't care for them, the homemade version is much tastier and cheaper as well.

Homemade boca burgers:
1 cup lentils
2 cups water
1/2 cup onion
1 egg
2 - 3 tsp steak seasoning
1 cup oatmeal

Cook the lentils in the water until soft, 30 min to one hour. Smash with a potato masher, fork or a stick blender. (I like the potato masher best.) Beat the egg and add it and all other ingredients, mix well with your hands, like a meatloaf. Shape into patties and fry like a burger.

Note: If mixture seems too wet, add a little flour. Brown lentils are best but you can only buy the green ones at walmart. They will work also but don't get quite as soft when cooked so they don't mash as well. I've used them plenty of times however. You can get the brown ones at any Whole Foods. Both kinds are super cheap, yes, even the ones from Whole Paycheck.


Here's another recipe for tacos made with lentils, it's not completly veggie but I just use water instead of the chicken stock. You can also use it in burritos.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tasty-lentil-tacos/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Article

You can also use TVP as a substitute for meat but Walmart does not sell it normally. It comes in a dry form and is made by Bob's Red Mill. Amazon sells it for a good price. You soak it then use it like meat in soups, chili and spaghetti sauce.

http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-Textured-Vegetable/dp/B002YR97J2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339718822&sr=8-1&keywords=TVP

vegetarian food helpp?




Amber


okay so im a vegetarian

and im getting tired of the stuff i
make and i want something
thts yummy
tht i can make easy


i dont eat meat dairy(yes tht means no chesse), eggs and any animal by products



Answer
What I do is Veganize regular recipes. I do not know what you are tired of eating frequently so it is difficult for me to suggest something new for you. So I can suggest a few good recipe sites for you that I use. You can also purchase a new Vegan cookbook and try the recipes. There is also a new line of Vegan products I can suggest because those are very yummy and easy and quick to prepare. You can make most any recipe Vegan. I have yet to come across a meal or recipe that I have not been able to veganize. You can make Vegan Italian Sausage subs, Vegan "Chicken" Fettucini Alfredo, Vegan Salsbury Steak, Vegan Meatloaf, or Vegan Ruben Sandwiches with Lentil Soup. Some nights when I am in a hurry I make the Gardein Tuscan Breasts, Steamed Broccoli, and baked Sweet Potatoes for Dinner. You can also make Tacos out of Boca Soy Crumbles. You can also make Sloppy Joes out of Manwich Sauce (Which is Vegan) and Boca Soy Crumbles. You can serve the Sloppy Joes with Sweet Potato Fries. Publix and Whole Foods Markets sell Frozen Sweet Potato Fries which are very good. Gardein makes a Vegan BBQ 'Por" substitute that you can just heat up and make BBQ sandwiches out of which also goes great with the Sweet Potato Fries that I mentioned. I also make Vegan chili in the crock pot with Boca soy crumbles. Since you did not specify what you are tired of eating I hope that I did not suggest things that you are tired of eating since I have no idea what your weekly menu already consists of. Hopefully, I have helped give you some easy but new ideas.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment